Love and Blessings From Our Family to Yours

Love and Blessings From Our Family to Yours

Friday, November 15, 2013

Crossing the Big Pond!

Well, we are finally on our way.  Leaving our family and friends and all that is familiar behind to go and live and explore in England for 3 years!  All so exciting and overwhelming!  So we had three flights ahead of us.  Our first flight from Charleston to New York was about 2 hours.  The kids did pretty good, still being so excited about the trip and the newness of the airplane. 

Ethan Jay with his headphones on waiting for his new Leapster to get into his hands!


Of course on all of our flights, we had separate seats, SO MUCH FUN!


I opened up a pack of gum, a pack that I have had for more than a year, to discover this quote by  Oscar Wilde.  I couldn't believe it!  We had just the day before signed to rent an apartment that's name is Oscar Wilde because he lived there in 1893!  CRAZY!


Evie Kaye loved the tray that popped down and up, down and up, repeatedly!


Very Happy and content with his Leapster!


We had about a three hour lay over in New York so we got some dinner and let the kids run around a bit.  We then boarded our over night flight to Paris in hopes that the kids would be ready for some sleep.

Here Ethan Jay and Emma Ann are contently watching a movie and were STILL awake at midnight!
The kids finally all got to sleep around 2 am with lot's of withering around and whining and crying and lot's of stares from other passengers.  They were then off and on awake and then back awake again until about 5 am where we were then about to land and the plane started coming alive again.  Now, as with anything that's not so pleasant, as time goes on, things don't seem so bad and little less dramatic.  But, I will say, that was one heck of a night, and I actually never got to sleep!


Trying to appease my very tired little one with a sucker just as we are about to land.  Their poor ears were bothering them so badly and we tried anything to help with it.


We were quote amazed at the Paris airport.  It was so family friendly.  The bathrooms were so well equipped for families with family restrooms set up with the nicest changing areas, they also had the neatest little play area for the kids next to a little cafe and the kids could not be happier.  A chance to run and stretch their legs was amazing!



The kids loved standing behind these glazed panels and dancing or standing like statues.  They would take turns and just die laughing at one another!


The airport also had these strollers that would also hold a bit of luggage as well.  They were perfect for the kids seeing that our stroller somehow got checked beneath the plane in New York and we would not get it back until we landed in Enlgand.  Not only was it great for pushing our tired little one's and some luggage through the airport, it almost made an amazing toy for the kids!


Notice the no socks or shoes!  We really didn't care anymore at this point!


While waiting on our last flight, we had the most amazing view of one of the runways in the airport.  That road right in front of the window was right were the planes would take off!  It was quite breathtaking to watch plane after plane soar into the sky!



They also had these really cool little lounge chairs that were oh so comfortable.
Robert gave one a try.


And so did Evie Kaye!


What I don't have a picture of, is of me passed out in one for about 30 minutes!  
I sat down to try one out and was literally out!  I don't even remember falling asleep, but that was the first sleep I had gotten in two days.

So off we were again for our flight from Paris back over to England.  We were landing in a city called Exeter.  The flight was just about 1 1/2 hours long but to be honest, everyone was sooooo done!  Good thing it was a short flight!

Here is the only photo I have of Paris as we were leaving the airport!


A beautiful sea of clouds


And there she is, England!  I could not have been happier to see this place.  


I also took this photo from the plane and it is amazing.  This is the river Exe.  Robert will be working just on the north side of this river and then we will live about 20 miles south of the river down in Torquay.


Happy little one!  Off the plane atlast!
On to customs, baggage claim, meet the guy that was going to picking us up and on to our rental apartment to crash for the night!

I will say, the airport was something light that in the one the show, Wings!  Actually, I think smaller!  Which was perfect!  We needed a no fuss, very easy last bit of the trip.  The staff was so friendly and the two guys that Robert was going to be working with were there and already had all of our luggage loaded up onto trolleys with the help of one of the airport guys before we were done at customs.  It was truly a breeze, and I was oh so very thankful!


Our first drive in the UK!  
I might say, a lot scary!
Wrong side of the road, crazy fast driving, lot's of cars and all of those confusing round-a-bouts!
This is definitely going to take some getting used to!
Wish us luck!


0 comments: